The Swanky Hotel and Pickled Ginger Transition

Costa Rica is not a country of quality.  The things that you buy here will likely break within a few months.  The construction, finishing touches and detail work is low quality at best. So, for our last 2 nights in Costa Rica we decided to treat ourselves to a nice hotel – beautiful furnishings, great service, and a clean and comfortable feel.  These are all things that are a rare find in Costa Rica.

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo for it’s proximity to the airport, but more importantly for the fun things to do within walking distance in the Santa Ana area.  Next door is a plaza full of delicious restaurants – sushi, thai, gelato and good pizza.  There are children play places, spas, cafes, and just about everything you want to entertain yourself.

We spoiled ourselves.

King Suite, Hotel Indigo Costa Rica

Our swanky hotel living room

We do find it ironic that we want to end our Costa Rican experience with something totally not Costa Rican.

So much of our Costa Rican experience was about having to do without, learning to live with less and like it.  It was a journey that started a little rough, but it has been a wonderful journey that has redefined us and our dreams.  Read about our journey in a future post coming on Nov 21st:  Living with Less & Spoiling Ourselves.

In the meantime, let me tell you how much we are enjoying staying at this swanky hotel.

Feels like Home

This hotel is our style.  It’s a cozy contemporary, just like our home in Colorado was.  It’s our comfort and visual beauty relief.  For the past 1 1/2 years we’ve been living in a comfortable home, but with ugly furniture and colorless, stained walls.  Nothing in our Atenas home was visually appealing to me.  It was old, Costa Rican old.  It smelled – no amount of vinegar would take away scent of old dampness.

We appreciated our home in Colorado.  It was a simple, minimalistic, very clean and comfortable place to be.  We took great care of it and enjoyed living there very much.  I do miss the feeling of it.

So here we are at the beautiful Hotel Indigo with 6 heavy suitcases sitting beside our King bed.  We are savoring the clean sheets, the air conditioning, the bug free rooms and the beautiful pool.

Just like Pickled Ginger

This experience is my pickled ginger.

PIckled Ginger Transition

My Pickled Ginger Transition (photo by Bryan Jones)

I love sushi. I crave it and would eat it everyday if my wallet allowed.  In a sushi experience, ginger is intended to be used after eating a sushi item to cleanse and prepare the palate for the next (different) item.   It’s a reset that allows a clean transition to the next flavor.

So, this swanky Hotel Indigo is our pickled ginger.  It is a cleansing of Costa Rica and a preparation for our new adventure.  Not to say that we need to cleanse ourselves of Costa Rica, but just like in sushi, we enjoy every piece for its beauty and flavor.  Then cleanse the palate to enjoy the next delicious but different piece.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “The Swanky Hotel and Pickled Ginger Transition”

1. Christian November 12, 2011 at 10:12 am #

Awesome !!!
    I know exactly what you mean !
    Well put sister 🙂
    We love you guys,
    You guys are our pickled ginger friends,
    for our transition from USA to CR.
    Pura Vida !

• S King November 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

You too Christian!
      I didn’t realize it until I wrote this post…but it makes sense to me now. I love ginger. Raw, pickled, in smoothies. It doesn’t matter. Up until now I just thought I had a crazy addiction to ginger…now I know it’s just a symbol of my addiction to change. (insert Aha Moment!) 🙂

2. Nicole November 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Well written! I enjoyed this post. I’m looking forward to your upcoming posts about your newest adventures. Thanks for sharing this. What a beautiful hotel!

3. Kate November 15, 2011 at 9:46 am #

Hi, excellent blog. I’m really enjoying reading it. I really don’t want to sound confrontational asking this question, I’m just curious. You say in this post:
    “So much of our Costa Rican experience was about having to do without, learning to live with less and like it.”
    You’re not the only ex-pat from the States that I’ve heard saying that, or words to that effect. But my question is what did you have to do without? I don’t really consider my life here in CR to be an exercise in ‘living with less’. There’s not much I can get in the UK that I can’t get here. Perhaps the US is more different to the UK than I thought, in terms of levels of comfort etc. Or perhaps you’re not talking about material needs.
    Having lived in Africa for some years I may have a different perspective – I find CR to be the land of plenty!
    Anyway, best of luck in your new adventures, we would love to be able to be on the beach too. I think what you’re doing is great. Very jealous.

4. Kate November 15, 2011 at 10:17 am #

Wait, OK, on re-reading I’ve answered my own question. Living with less in general, less posessions, leaving the comforts of home behind. OK, I see, yep, sorry.

• S King November 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Hi Kate,
      We LOVED our Costa Rica life…and miss it. I think Costa Rica is a land of plenty. It’s amazingly rich with nature, smiles and adventure.
      We moved there to simplify and not have as many meaningless distractions that are hard to ignore in the US culture because there are so many. So that is one part of what I meant by living with less. The other part IS material & comfort things. You CAN get pretty much everything (for a price), but choosing to do with only the ones that were necessary to us was our goal.

I am impressed that we only had 6 suitcases to outfit our new home in Belize (and 1/2 of those was kid stuff).

Thanks for finding our blog! Welcome!

5. Stacey November 28, 2011 at 6:33 am #

Sabina, I don’t know how I missed this one! Glad I found it, it really helped me understand your point of view better about why you’d want to leave Costa Rica and how you’re ready for the next good thing. Can hardly wait for your next post! By the way, are you working on one about amenities/guide to Atenas, Costa Rica – like the organic veggie lady – or have you moved on?

• S King November 29, 2011 at 6:21 am #

Stacey, K says he’ll have the “Best of Atenas” post done on Wednesday (cue: me rolling my eyes). Let’s see if he does it.

I’m not sure that this post represents why we left Costa Rica…actually, it reads negative about CR. We left because we were starting to smell stale there. It was never our intention to stay forever. My wandering mind and soul just isn’t equipped for that.

I think you’ll love Costa Rica…it’s a beautiful place to raise your family.

6. Robert June 9, 2014 at 8:50 pm #

Also I agree if you go to San Jose and buy in Walmarts or allow the Ticos’ to build for you without strict guidance, things will fall apart. My house is built with Almendra wood. It withstood the last earthquake. The termites can’t even eat it. It will last until the next Volcanic eruption or earth quake but it’s all good!!