My Green Smoothie Secret

What keeps me so full of energy while dealing with my day to day life of being a mother of two, an awesome wife, a business owner, an avid reader and gregarious socialite? My secret lies in how I fuel my body and mind.

Most days I start with yoga to stretch my body, calm my mind and center by morning. Then I go home for breakfast or a green smoothie. It’s the powerhouse green smoothie that supplies me with the wit and animation to run a business and a family life, all from my kitchen table.

When a new friend walked into my life and I shared a whole blender-full of green smoothie with her, she inspired me to share my green smoothie recipe with all of you. So, thank you Katie Hudson and your beautiful family.

Katie and me enjoying our refilled smoothies.

Katie and me enjoying our second glass of green smoothie.

Drum-roll please……

Green Smoothie Recipe

Base:
1 Cucumber
1 stalk of Celery
Handful of Spinach or Kale
Fist full of Parsley
1 cup of fresh Pineapple (if your pineapple isn’t sweet, add honey)
Ginger (as much as you want)
Lime juice (gives it a nice tang)

Optional:
Banana
Mango
Avocado (gives the smoothie a rich, smooth texture)
Spirulina powder (my favorite: Healthforce  Vitamineral Green)
Mint (as much as you want)
Honey
Flax seed
Bee pollen
Chia Seeds

Put all the ingredients you want in a blender. Add water or fresh coconut water and ice and blend until smooth. Drink and enjoy the energy!

The greener the better! Green Smoothies!

The greener the better! Green Smoothies!

Try different combinations or amounts of each ingredient to suit your taste. My smoothies are never by recipe, only by inspiration and what I have on hand.

I’d love for you to try it and see what you think.  If you have a favorite green smoothie recipe, please let me know about it in the comments. I’m always looking for inspiration.

Tags: ,

6 Responses to “My Green Smoothie Secret”

1. Marina K. Villatoro April 27, 2012 at 9:55 am #

How absolutely delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am all into smoothies right now and this one is for me!

I think I can find all the ingredients here, if not, will improvise 🙂

2. Carol Kaatz April 27, 2012 at 11:46 am #

I love green smoothies, though mine are a little on the purple side because I like to add frozen blueberries. I appreciate the added suggested ingredients and will try some new variations. Thanks for sharing!

3. Rachel April 27, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

I definitely want to try this!! 🙂

4. Lisa Wood April 28, 2012 at 3:26 am #

I love my green smoothies! Everything that you have in your green smoothie we have in ours 🙂

The last week I havent been having one every morning, and I was wondering why I was feeling so sick, and so tired all of the time…then last night I realised that it was because I had forgotten to have my morning smoothies – they sure give lots of energy!

We have been using Kale – its made a huge difference! Its so yummy, and the ginger makes it so yummy.

5. Bethaney - Flashpacker Family May 12, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Wow. Your smoothie looks delicious. I did two months of mostly raw food when we were in Australia. I noticed a huge difference in energy levels starting my day with a smoothie. I was too chicken to add any greens in though. Yours looks fantastic. I’ll try it when we leave Thailand.

The food here in Thailand is far too tempting to try and follow a raw/vegan diet. Lots of fresh fruit shakes though they love adding sugar to them so you need to ask for it without.

• S King May 12, 2012 at 9:57 am #

We are looking forward to the variety of food in Asia! We love food! We balance it out by having our delicious green smoothies though. Like you, our bodies tell us when we’ve been eating a little too much of something.