Two Things I Know for Sure

Happy Thanksgiving to you! As you’re reading this, we are in the midst of traveling to Thailand for the magical Yee Peng lantern ceremony. I wanted to share with you two great truths that I am grateful for.

There are two truths that I’ve come to know intimately. These truths are evident in nearly all moments of my life. From traveling to having an abundant list of life experience, these are the two truths that are always true. Both are a commentary on the way I view life.

Truth 1: “So, we begin again”

Life is a constant renewal, an upgraded continuation for a journey that has no completion. And so, we begin again to venture forth into unknown territory and discover what there is to discover and indulge in the experiences. The journey of life begins over and over and over again. Always. Everyday.

A new chapter of life begins continuously. Each day brings about new events, relationships, knowledge that changes who we are and how we see ourselves. We begin each day, fresh, again.

And so, we begin again – not only in travel – but in life.

The birth of a baby.
The loss of a job.
The gain of a job.
The spark of a new idea.
The flame of a new relationship.
The death of a loved one.
The exploration of a world unknown.
The learning of a new skill.

It all begins again.

In travel, there is the research of new places, the taking of local advice, the resting of eyes on new sights and the vibe of the culture.

It all changes you.

And so, we begin again.

With a different perspective. Experience under our belt. New ideas.

And the best part…

The beginning is just the beginning, each and every time.

The second truth that I know for sure is one I’ve written about in the past, so I’ll keep it short.

Truth 2: “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.”

Wise words from one of my favorite actors playing Captain Jack Sparrow. We’ve had plenty of opportunity to experience the fact that our perception is our reality and I encourage you to read that post.  The more jaded our world view is the more jaded and difficult we find to maneuver through it. When I’m in a place of mind that is in peace and friendliness, the more easily and favorable are the moments that I experience. I’m sure you’ve found that true to.

So remember, “The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.” And she will remind you:

You are always the problem.

Have a beautiful holiday season everyone. It’s a great time to reflect on the lessons that we have learned throughout the year that allow us to move forward and enjoy the experience of life. Below, several traveling families share their lessons. Enjoy the reading.

BohemianTravelers.com: Travel Lessons: Can You Embrace the Unknown

The nomadic family: I Know Nothing (and 99 Other Things The Road Has Taught Me)

The Lovely Travel of a Nomadic Dad -The 10 Thing I Learned on the Road that I did not Want To

PearceOnEarth.com: 5 Life Lessons Learned from Traveling

TravelwithBender: So it’s been 6 Months – You won’t believe what we have learnt!

Life Changing Year: Life Lessons From The Road – A Little Bit Of Planning Goes A Loooong Way!

LivingOutsideoftheBox.com - 6 Life Lessons From the Road

Flashpacker Family – http://flashpackerfamily.com/lessons-from-the-road-of-life/

Family on Bikes: Complaining won’t change a gosh-darn thing

Family Travel Bucket List: 3 Things We’ve Learned While Living Outside of the USA

Susan  By Any Road..Lessons from the Journey

Our Travel Lifestyle – Travel: Teaching us about ourselves

RambleCrunch: 15 Lessons Travel has Taught Me

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “Two Things I Know for Sure”

1. Jennifer Pearce November 20, 2012 at 8:38 am #

I love that! Each moment truly is a new beginning, and if I have a problem, I know that finger points directly at me. Great lessons to remember!! Thank you. :)

2. Susan November 20, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Great insights! I love the constant renewal…feeds a need to be learning something new all the time. And you’re right about attitude. It’s amazing how a good or bad attitude can affect everything…and everyone!

3. Mary November 20, 2012 at 10:24 am #

That pic of the Beautiful I is precious and perfect! You are right, the problem is always you no matter how hardthat is to accept sometimes.

Great insight and I agree…they are true:)

4. Living Outside of the Box November 20, 2012 at 11:17 am #

Oh my goodness…Miss I wipes all problems (I mean…perceptions of the problem!) away–with a face like that!

And yes…I’ve never thought about traveling as a way to begin/restart again! It is a constant renewal of life as we break new barriers and open our eyes yet again!

5. Renee November 20, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

Great post. You’re absolutely right about the concept of renewal. Moving around creates fresh starts and new perspectives. I hate to admit it, but the second I get really comfortable in a place is when other places start calling my name.

And I love the attitude-adjustment finger. Like Jennifer says, I know it’s pointing right at me!

6. Travel with Bender (Erin) November 20, 2012 at 8:40 pm #

That is such a great photo of miss I. It’s very convicting! :)

7. gabi klaf November 21, 2012 at 1:26 am #

ok, now, officially, i am in love with you. i was before, but now totally. i love, like the friends before have commented, the pics- both of them are stunning. constant renewal- what a message of peace you bring. i am, very slowly, learning how to accept that constant change. i admit, i spend so much time holding onto what is no longer, and i am learning, as i should. anicca- in pali…. thank you. and yes, we are the source of our reaction to what life brings us. i believe your point number one can help us with number two, don’t you think? enjoy the lantern festival…i bet it will be magical.

8. Tracey - Life Changing Year November 21, 2012 at 8:42 am #

Awww….cutest photo ever! Those curls and her pretty eyes are to die for. That’s the kind of pic that would look amazing on a giant canvas on the wall…..if you could find a way to carry it with you each time you had a new beginning!

9. Gail November 22, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Well said, as always!! Love the Miss I pic – such wise eyes she has!

10. Bethaney - Flashpacker Family November 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Well put and what a fabulous photo!

11. Bri November 30, 2012 at 8:25 am #

Love it! Nothing reminds you to live in the moment like traveling. Hope you guys are having a beautiful time in Thailand!

12. Adam Sommer December 14, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Love this qoute….great post!