To Bangkok. Alone.

imageA woman must treat herself well.

That’s why I ordered 2 cups of tea on the plane headed toward Bangkok, unwrapped the shiny foil of a decadent chocolate bar that Mr. King packed for me, busted out my kindle and watched the clouds creep backwards.

I’m headed on a solo trip to further expand the King empire and do a little shopping…by myself. Alone. Something I haven’t been in over 6 years.

I considered a nap, but chose to memorize my Pin number instead. Over 1000 days of traveling and I haven’t had to use the ATM once. That puts me in the league of sheltered, kept women – completely codependent on my husband to know the process of how to extract money from bank machines.  My feelings of independence  returned as the numbers cemented themselves in my brain. 3 cards-3 sets of numbers. I memorized 2 because I had chocolate waiting and one must not occupy themselves with too much thinking when eating good chocolate. Chocolate should only be a sensuous activity.

Off I go. Alone to reaffirm what it feels like to be an individual Sabina (that’s the S in S King). Reidentifying, shopping, clarifying goals and most of all, enjoying myself. Alone in Bangkok.

Every woman who has multiple roles in life (hello?…every woman) should get away and rediscover her own individual essence- alone and without girlfriends, husbands, children or, for lords sake, parents.

So far I’ve:

• Eaten when I’ve wanted to and with random strangers. Like having fried rice at 6 am and sitting down at someone’s table because there are no others available. I’ve  met some interesting people.
  • Spent ludicrous time perusing an awesome bookstore that had 1 copy of a book I’ve been searching for for months. I bought it.
  • Stared at myself in the mirror pleased with my awesome do it yourself hair dye job. Yes, the kind that comes in a box that includes plastic gloves.
  • Bought lip gloss. I don’t wear makeup any more, but a little lip gloss makes me feel pretty.
  • Slept with all my stuff strewn about the bed, which would drive Mr. King nuts.
  • Walked on the same elevated pedestrian bridge several times trying to get to the other side of the road…don’t judge.
  • Totally redesigned my products pages AND wrote incredible copy for them.
  • Had time to write this post…even on an iPad, with its hunt and peck typing style.
  • Successfully used the ATM!

Things shift when it’s just you. I no longer have a partner to lead, ask questions to, yell at when we get lost or debate how to get somewhere. It’s just me. There’s a freedom and an “oh, shit” feeling that I rather like.

I have one small backpack, an empty carrying suitcase to transport all my goods and my bikini – in case I get invited to a pool party. Because if you can’t get into a little trouble in Bangkok…well?

14 Responses to “To Bangkok. Alone.”

1. Jen February 4, 2013 at 9:26 pm #

Enjoy! I also think Moms (and Dads) need alone time. We have not done it lately but use to alternate weekend trips alone every few months. So nice to decompress. I think we’ll need to start that back up soon.

• S King February 5, 2013 at 8:29 am #

I like to think I may make this a regular thing….every few months to go away on our separate vacations. We need our own experiences sometimes.

2. Travel with Bender (Erin) February 4, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

1000 days… im 270 days without a pin uhoh! :D enjoy yourself S.

3. Living Outside of the Box February 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

Hahaaa….been a long while since I’ve had that experience. Well…I did go to the hospital, once…but that wasn’t fun. Oh, and didn’t know the ATM pin. Dang :-)

4. Catherine Forest February 4, 2013 at 10:06 pm #

What a cool trip! I am such a codependent traveler too… Enjoy that time by yourself and all the awesomness that comes with it!

• S King February 5, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Instead of co-dependent, perhaps I should have said that I have outsourced the job of getting money out of the ATM to my husband…yeah, that’s more like the real story ;)

5. The Nuts Mr. King February 5, 2013 at 1:00 am #

Hey Beautiful!

I am so glad you took the extra days to enjoy yourself in Bangkok, alone! Yes, the clothes on the bed would drive me nuts, but I have now learned how to breathe, so it may not anymore. The kids and I anxiously await your return and I will save the $40 bottle of wine for us to enjoy……alone!

Love you! Have fun!

• S King February 5, 2013 at 2:24 am #

See…you gotta love the King!

6. Brandon February 5, 2013 at 5:43 am #

I totally need to do this! Maybe not in Bangkok, but I’ve known for a long time that a trip by myself would be good for me. Thanks for the inspiration. Now I just need a kick in the pants to make it happen.

• S King February 5, 2013 at 8:25 am #

Bangkok has grown on me and I love the differences (and there are many) from my ‘normal’ life. The energy is incredible and I love it for a while.

7. Jennifer Pearce February 5, 2013 at 5:50 am #

From one codependent traveler to another, congratulations! I’m also now making headway on memorizing my own pesky little pin numbers, among other things, and feeling much lighter because of it. :) It sounds like you are having such a great time! I loved this post. It may be a while before little Miss Aysia will let me get away by myself for a few days. So sweet of Mr. King to pack you a decadent chocolate bar, and I’m glad to hear you are making such wonderful use of your alone time. See you back in paradise. :D

8. Heidi February 5, 2013 at 6:51 am #

Good for you, sounds like fun. Hopefully you enjoyed.

9. sandra mathis February 7, 2013 at 9:53 am #

You are so inspiring!!

• S King February 8, 2013 at 7:36 am #

Ha! Thanks Sandra. I’ll take it as a well meaning compliment. I’m just trying to live, love and learn the best life I know how.